When I first opened the Specialized Torch road shoes, I thought they looked great. The are really lightweight though, and felt just a little to light, almost flimsy. Naturally I was worried they wouldn’t preform very well, first impressions do sometimes count.
Trying the Specialized Torch’s on was a different story. As soon as I put my foot in I realised my initial thought of them being remotely flimsy was unfounded, they actually felt very sturdy. I have narrow feet and found the fit good. I would say try on in a shop if you can, because if you have wider feet, they may pinch.
The shoes have two velcro straps and the top strap is fully adjustable, which makes getting a secure fit very simple. Not to mention the straps come undone so easily, it makes getting the shoes on and off very quick.
Once I got out on my bike I was amazed at how easy it was to engage the shoe to the pedal. I felt a little like Dorothy clicking her heels together every time I disengaged the shoes with a swivel of my heel.
I have been out a few times with them on and so far so good. As with most road shoes, they are not made for walking in. The soles are stiff, making walking difficult, but they are designed for cycling, so this is a given. The stiffness level is really good, in that it definitely helps keep your foot in the correct position.
The shoes are extremely comfortable when cycling. They have front and bottom vents, which in winter are not much use, but would be very cooling in the summer months. I found they were pretty waterproof in the light showers I was hit with, but they would get wet in a down pour (simple solution is overshoes).
They have reflective strips on the heels which are very handy for the darker mornings and evenings, making them great when in traffic. They got muddy a few times, and I just wiped them down with the rest of my bike. They have held together well after a month or so getting worn a lot. The stitching, the straps and the sole show little signs of wear.
These shoes are really good. They look good, are comfortable and a decent price. If you want a solid pair of road shoes at a decent price, these fit the bill.
- Easy to clean
- Narrow fit
More information: Specialized
UK supplier: Evans Cycles
What the brand say about the shoe:
- A high value, straightforward, no fuss cycling shoe offering the benefits of a ratchet closure and nylon sole, plus Body Geometry comfort. Contoured women’s fit.
- Body Geometry outsole and Footbed optimise alignment, improving rider comfort and performance
- Injection-moulded nylon composite sole is engineered to be moderately stiff yet light: 6.0 Stiffness Index
- Low-profile SL ratchet buckle for secure closure
- Stitched synthetic and mesh upper for comfort and fit
- For optimum performance, fit the rider with the proper footbed and shim
- 3-bolt cleat pattern fits all major road pedals