Finding a jersey that fits and flatters the feminine form is often difficult. Does the Pearl Izumi Elite short sleeved jersey hit the mark or fall short with its rather slinky choice of material?
Coming in at £69.99, with a wide range of sizes (XS – XL), the Elite short sleeved jersey fits into the mid-range of Pearl Izumi’s collection, aimed at all cyclists with a penchant for tarmac.
Like most women, fit is a big consideration for me. At size 12, I opted to test the medium size Elite jersey.
It was pleasant to find that the cut of this jersey was just right. Long enough at the rear to cover my back, the stretch in the fabric dealt well with bosoms and waist, and the full length zip didn’t bunch up or protrude in strange places.
The fine stretch fabric is lightweight and silky to touch, for some it could be seen as verging on the clingy side, but I never felt exposed and was comfortable with how it made me look. Although relatively form-fitting, the jersey is breathable and because it’s constructed from Pearl Izumi’s In-R-Cool technology I was kept cool while pedalling hard up a number of epic ascents.
Three ample pockets at the rear kept secure hold of my legwarmers, jacket, purse and bars while out on a 3 hour ride. A nice touch was an extra secure pocket I discovered for keeping my spare change, bank cards and keys safe in.
Pearl Izumi have managed to create a feminine jersey without resorting to the ‘shrink and pink’ technique. It just so happened the jersey I tested came in my favourite colours, purple and turquoise, but if you’re keen to steer clear of purple, they also offer a black and turquoise colourway.
Comfortable, and although well-cut, offering enough coverage, this jersey would suit a cyclist who doesn’t mind a slinky material.
– Flattering cut
– Ample sized pockets, with secure one thrown in for extra measure
– Material could be seen as clingy
– Limited colour options (two colourways)
What Pearl Izumi says about the Elite short sleeve jersey
The all new Women’s ELITE Jersey features a combination of sweat activated InRCool® technology and Direct Vent panels to keep you cool dry and comfortable.
– Body 100% polyester UPF 50
– Technology Icefil®
– Mesh 82% polyester 18% elastane UPF 20
– Elite Transfer fabric with InRCool® technology provides optimal skin cooling when you perspire
– Direct Vent panels provide superior ventilation
– Full length zipper for venting with zipper garage
– Three back pockets one sweatproofpocket and two stash pockets
– Screen print
– Reflective elements for low light visibility