The Madison Stellar tights with chamois pad are a marketed as a commuting tight. What am I looking for from a commuting tight?
I want the tights to keep me warm, allow me to be seen, that are easy to wash, holds up to lots of ‘cycles’ (both the cleaning and riding variety), easy to wear, and doesn’t break the bank.
Not too demanding then!
Fortunately, the Madison Stellar tights tick all of these boxes. “when staying warm and highly visible are your priorities on the bike, the Stellar tights are perfect for the job” – we couldn’t agree more.
Pulling on the UK size 10 Stellar leggings, I noticed the chamois pad felt fairly solid and a little on the large side. Admittedly, once riding, the pad performed really well, stayed put, and I didn’t notice it all.
The Madison tights have a drawstring waist that allows you to secure the tights should you need to, or alternatively loosen it off for comfort.
The fleecy lining of the tights felt lovely and offered a great deal of warmth. My commute, as with most peoples, is a rather stop-start affair. With lights and junctions hampering my progress, it’s imperative I’m kept warm when static and cycling at speeds lower than my average, pootling through traffic, and I’m pleased to report that these tights performed excellently.
When I was ‘sprinting’ the fabric proved to be fast wicking and quick dry. Unbelievable that a tight can perform well at both ends of the spectrum at this price point.
The tights have reflector strips that adorn the outside of the legs. These strips really catch the lights from other traffic, so were a great tool to keep me seen while weaving through traffic.
Other features worthy of noting are the zips at the bottom of the legs, for ease of access and there are some elastic strips adorned with the “Madison” name and logo, these kept the tights in place well.
A great pair of commuting tights that covers you for all those times you’re stopping and starting at junctions, cycling slower through traffic.
I’d say it’s cheap for the quality of the tight, the materials used and the love that they’ve been made with. Thoroughly recommend adding a pair for your winter commutes!
NB: We’ve noted though that Madison.cc do not stock ANY shorts or tights in bib versions, so if you usually opt for those, you’ll have to look elsewhere I’m afraid.
– Although relatively cheap in price, there’s no scrimping in quality
– Reflector strips to add visibility
– Easy and quick to wear you don’t struggle to pull them up
– Solid, sometimes noticeable chamois pad, uncomfortable off the bike (we do realise you’ll be walking from bike lock room to office, so it’s not too much of an issue but worth noting)
What Madison says about the Stellar women’s tights w. pad
When staying warm and high visibility are your priorities on the bike, the Stellar tights are perfect for the job.
– Worn by themselves or underneath a pair of over trousers, the fleece backed Lycra is going to keep you toasty in the harshest of conditions
– Several critically positioned reflective prints ensure you’re seen from every angle by passing motorists
– Madison’s female specific coolmax chamois pad offers maximum comfort so you can spend longer in the saddle