A hydration pack is a specially designed backpack or waist bag that can carry a bladder full of fluid. This bladder has a hose connected to it that is fed over your shoulder and held in place, usually on the chest strap of the bag. This makes it really easy to take sips of water at regular intervals. You simply grab the hose and suck the fluid out through a valve. This means no opening your backpack up to take out a bottle, it also leaves your hands free to concentrate on the task in hand when on the bike.
Why use a hydration pack?
- Hydration packs are especially handy for mountain bikers who ride on full suspension bikes as bottle cages can be hard to fit on this type of bike.
- There is no need to use your hands. Say goodbye to reaching down to grab your bottle from the cage, and even more frustrating…the task of trying to pop it back in the cage!
- You have the ability to carry more fluid
- You are more inclined to take small sips over the course of your ride, avoiding dehydration.
- More often than not hydration packs have the capacity to carry other pieces of kit. You can store easy to access snacks in the waist strap pockets, while extra layers and bike tools can be stashed in the main part of the pack.
When it comes to making that all-important purchase, here are the most important things you should take into consideration.