The thread the needle arms pose provides a really deep stretch for the upper back and space between the shoulder blades.
Great for those cyclists who spend a long time in the saddle and want to release that built up tension.
How to do the thread the needle arms pose:
- Begin on all fours, with the hands shoulder width apart and the knees hip width apart.
- Turn the right palm upwards and thread the right hand underneath the left arm.
- Take the right shoulder and the right side of the head toward the floor.
- Take the left arm up off the floor and hang it over the back.
- Bend the left elbow and see if you can reach around to hold the right thigh.
- Peel the left shoulder up and back. Donʼt turn the head.
- Stay here for 5 to 10 breaths and repeat on the other side.
What to watch out for:
- Donʼt try to turn the head, when you’re in the pose.
- Neck or shoulder injuries – avoid this pose.
Our instructor is Polly Clark; yoga teacher and founder of Mountain Yoga Breaks who offer weekends combining mountain biking and yoga in the beautiful Welsh countryside.