The Powerful yoga pose strengthens the ankles, quads, hamstrings and the back muscles as well as opening the chest and shoulders.
It also works to increase flexibility in the calves, and we know how tight they can get from all that pedalling.
How to do the Powerful pose:
- Begin standing with the feet together
- Inhale and bend the knees as you float the arms up above the head
- Keep the knees together
- You should still be able to see the tips of your toes if you look down
- If not then draw the shin bones back until you can
- Tuck the lower belly slightly in and drop the tailbone towards the heels
- Extend up through the arms and look up towards the hands
- Keep the shoulders down away from the ears
- Stay here breathing smoothly for 5 breaths
- Inhale straighten the legs and release the arms.
What to watch for with the Powerful pose:
- If you have a knee injury then avoid this pose.
Our instructor is Polly Clark; yoga teacher and founder of Mountain Yoga Breaks who offer weekends combining mountain biking and yoga in the beautiful Welsh countryside.