After catching sight of these innovative new pannier bags from Altura at the Zyro Cycle Vision trade show, we couldn’t wait to get them in and see how they performed. They’ve just arrived, and here are my first thoughts.
- They look robust. A black coated tarpaulin fabric should withstand the knocks and bangs that most pannier bags get through use, without ripping, tearing or looking dishevelled.
- They’re not waterproof, but they do both come with a waterproof cover that tucks away nicely in a neat little pocket on the bags, and it’s a bright hi-viz yellow too.
- They can sit either side of the bike, so you don’t need to choose a left- or right-hand side panner bag. They’ve got reflective details and hooks on both sides of the bag so you can hang a light on it if you want.
- There’s plenty of room for all your bits and pieces, including a special padded suspended pocket that’s designed to take a 15 inch laptop or tablet safely. There are two main compartments, with the front section complete with mesh pockets for organising your work gear and cycling essentials.
- They convert between pannier bag and rucksack/messenger bag, which is perfect if you need a bag that’s comfortable to wear while carrying your stuff when off your bike, as well as on. For example, they’d work well if you ride a bike to the station and get a train the rest of the way to work. The Morph converts between a rucksack and pannier bag, and the Meta between a messenger bag and a pannier bag.
Price: Morph £74.99, Meta £69.99
Stockist: All Altura stockists