Are you gearing up for the biggest-ever national ‘Cycle to Work Day’ this Thursday?
We’re certainly raring to go at Total Women’s Cycling towers; a photograph competition for our readers and lots of motivational talks with colleagues, friends and family members to get them to saddle up.
If you’ve not yet pledged to ride, we’re here to inspire you to get involved. Cue Rachel Sokal – who while not off tackling crazy MTB stage races – loves nothing more than hopping on her steed to commute to work. Rachel shares her reasons for embracing riding to the office, come rain or shine!
Why do I love riding to work?
Over the years the distance of my cycle to work has varied; from a not-worth-bothering-to-get-the-bike-out 2 mile jaunt, to a mammoth it’s-a-bit-too-far-to-do-everyday 36 mile round trip.
My current ride into the office is just shy of 8 miles, which is pretty much spot on for me. What’s more, my current work place has decent showers and my desk is next to a radiator – perfect for drying my towel and kit. It certainly beats the strip-wash-in-the-basement that I’ve put up with in the past.
Regardless of the facilities, I’ve always made an effort to cycle to work, and these are the 10 reasons I do;
Why I cycle to work
- I get a 40 minute of peace at the start and end of my day when it’s just me and my bike
- I save about £5 a day in petrol – cycling isn’t free but it’s certainly cheaper than that
- It’s quicker and less stressful than driving, I don’t have to fight for a parking space or cram on public transport
- I get a shower on work’s expense (yes, the small things count)
- My first-of-the-day coffee tastes even better after some fresh air
- Even on days when I’m pushed for time I get to do a bit of exercise
- It’s not so far that even if the weather is bad or I’m tired it’s not so hard to do
- I love the camaraderie that comes of being a member of the cycling to work club – I’m friends with people in the building that no-one else in my department even know exist
- If the mood takes me, I go on a bit of a detour on my way home and discover all kinds of new and interesting places
- At the very core, I simply get the pleasure of riding my bike everyday
‘Cycle to Work Day’ photograph competition
To celebrate this years national ‘Cycle to Work Day’ we are launching a photo competition to see what steeds carry our readers to work. It can be a photograph of just your bike, you riding on it, or the view from the saddle. The only caveat – we must be able to see your bike somewhere in the photo!
Send your picture, along with a one-line description as to why you love cycling to work, your name and the distance you commute daily (cumulative) to [email protected]
The winner will receive a goody bag packed with; Total Women’s Cycling stickeres, water bottles, nutrition products, bike cleaning goodies, socks and much more!
Hurry though, entries received after 9:00am Friday 13th September will not be included.
For more information on Cycle to Work Day visit www.cycletoworkday.org. There’s even a nifty little calculator that helps you work out how much money you have saved, calories burnt and CO2 saved.