Polaris kit for kids. Good Value kit for young riders? Let’s find out!
As a pretty keen, but amateur, cyclist, I seem to have had an effect on my family. My kids are seriously getting into bike riding too, so it made sense that they should have some proper kit too! Polaris have an entire range of kids clothes and my two (very lucky) children got to try everything from gloves to padded shorts!
First off the gloves. The Controller Mitts were really good looking. My daughter got a brilliant spotty pair that matched her top and my son had them in blue. The sizes I asked for fitted them perfectly and as with most mitts, they have a decent stretch, meaning good value for money with inevitable growth spurts! The palms had excellent padding and a standard lycra backing, along with a terry wipe thumb, which is great for snotty noses. The velcro closure made getting them on and off really easy. My children at 7 and 5 and had no problems at all with these. In fact the loved the extra support.
Next is the jerseys. My daughter was wearing the Girls Spot Jersey and my son was in the Mini Adventure Jersey. Both had similar features from two elasticated rear pockets, half zip fronts, elasticated gripper on the hem and a drop tail back. The girls jersey was made from Coolplus for wicking away sweat and at 5 years old you wouldn’t think that should matter. But I have a little daredevil on my hands who rides faster than me at times and sweats like a good ‘un. Safe to say we appreciated the wicking. The only difference in the boys shirt is that his had reflective parts on the front and back. I would happily put either of these jerseys on a boy or a girl, they are both unisex from all I can see and excellent quality.
Shorts. Probably one of my most important bits of kit. Shorts protect and comfort on longer rides and are an essential. My son and I have ridden many miles together and he said the shorts were brilliant. Padded in all the right areas apparently, as he never complained of a sore behind like he usually does. The padded insert looks really similar to the ones in a lot of my own clothes, so I was impressed with the detail in it. The shorts stretch really well and have stood up to all sort of falls. They have gripper elastic around the hems to stop them riding up, they dry quickly too (as we found out after the heavens opened up.)
When it came to long sleeve jerseys we got to try out the Fang. The jersey has a full front zip and is lined with fleece for extra warmth and perfect for cooler climes. It has three rear storage pockets, which were great for stuffing all my sons extra things in. Made from Thermastretch fabric, the feel of the jersey is of good quality and longevity. I can see it taking knocks and tumbles and looking like new. It also has good amounts of reflective areas.
When it comes to a jacket for spring, the JR Aqualite extreme was brilliant. It was bright, had great reflective strips to ensure high visibility too. As a waterproof jacket it held up well in the light showers it was subjected too. It really is lightweight and it folds into it’s own stuff sack and fits into a jersey pocket no problem. With adjustable cuffs and hem, it can be as snug or a loose as the rider prefers.
Most cyclists own a gilet. An extra layer for warmth and visibility. The RBS Mini Gilet is a bright and appealing piece of clothing. It is windproof and shower resistant, and designed to be seen day or night. My kids loved the colours of it and the fact that it can be stowed away in a jersey pocket it s bonus. When they rode ahead of me, I could spot them a mile off which, as a parent, I found useful. They never go to far ahead, but they like to “win” races.
Simply put, Polaris offer a great range of affordable clothes for kids. If they love riding as much as you do, its worth investing a little bit of money in the basics. Both of my children were extremely happy with the way the kits looked. As a parent, I found they washed well, held their shape and didn’t get holes in them when the kids fell off their bikes! Good value for money and brilliant construction.
Controller Mitt –
– Kids specific cycle mitts with durable Amara® padded palms
– Excellent comfort and grip on the handlebars
– Lycra® backed fabric for breathability and comfort
– Velcro® tab closure
– Terry wipe thumb
– Price £7.99
Girls Spot Jersey –
– Zipped collar for temperature control
– Constructed from Coolplus, a branded
fast wicking polyester fibre
– Two rear pockets
– Elasticated silicon gripper at the hem
– Price £24.99
Mini Adventure Jersey –
– Short sleeved road jersey made from a fast wicking polyester fabric
– Half length zip for heat management Side and underarm mesh panels to promote airflow
– Two elasticated top pockets
– Elasticated gripper on the hem
– Reflective graphics on the front and back
– Price £19.99
Mini Adventure Short –
– Kids specific cycle short
– Designed in Nylex for superior stretch properties & rebound qualities
– Padded insert kids specific
– Gripper elastic hems to prevent ‘ride – up’
– High wicking & quick drying
– Price £16.99
Fang Long Sleeved Jersey –
– Kid’s long sleeve cycle jersey
– Made from Thermastretretch fabric for warmth and moisture transfer
– Full length front zip for ventilation
– 3 rear storage pockets & reflective print detail
– Price £34.99
JR Aqualite Extreme –
– Junior specific waterproof cycling jacket
– Lightweight waterproof cycling jacket with fully taped seams
– Full length front zip with a storm flap and zip garage
– Integral stuffsack; the jacket will pack down into a very small pocket making it convenient to carry with you
– Fully adjustable for a great fit; elasticated cuffs, drawcord hem and collar
– A removable hood is available for this jacket
– Price £34.99
RBS Mini Gilet –
– Scaled down version of the RBS Gilet
– A fluorescent and reflective windproof gilet with a shower resistant
– Designed to be visible during daylight and night-time hours
– Made from a breathable Micro-polyester fabric
– Small pack size and extremely lightweight
– Tailored fit with a slightly longer back
– Full length front zip
– One colour option
– Price £18.99
More Info: Polaris
Available from: Polaris
Open Gallery7 Images
Liked this? You will also love: