If you are prone to ‘Back Acne’ otherwise known as ‘Bacne’ you’ll know that cycling in the summer months can aggravate it even more than usual. Hot weather and inordinate amounts of sweat will often result in a breakout.
But fear not, we are here to help. Here are our top tips for banishing the bacne.
1. Opt for one of your looser jerseys. Tight clothing provides a breathing ground for spots and blackheads. Choose one of your baggier/ more breathable jerseys on hotter days.
2. Daily antibacterial diligence is needed. Believe it or not, your back is home to more germs than your face. In order to keep these germs at bay, wash with a salicylic wash such as Proactiv Solution Deep Cleansing Body Wash. A long handed body brush will help you to reach those difficult to get to spots!
3. Make sure your skin is clean before you exercise. This sounds bonkers we know. But honestly this helps. Using a medicated pad and simply giving yourself a quick wipe down before popping on your sports bar will help enormously. Proactiv’s medicated wipes are fantastic.
4. Make sure your cycling kit is clean. Don’t be tempted to wear your sports bra and jersey for more than one ride. Bacteria will have ample time to breed between rides.
5. Exfoliate. You can make your own natural exfoliators at home which are really good for helping to ward away / cure bacne. Our favourite is made by mixing the juice from one grapefruit with 1/2 cup of coarse sea salt and 1/2 cup of sugar.
6. Don’t scrub too hard. Make sure you exfoliate nice and gently. Excessive scrubbing will result in raw, red skin which looks far worse and will be really uncomfortable.
7. Shower immediately after your ride. Sweat will clog your pores resulting in bacne. So make sure you hop in the shower as soon as possible after your ride and give your whole body a really thorough clean.
8. Not a common household cure for acne, but certainly effective in some cases, zinc is a known enemy of acne. Zinc is a metal that humans need in small doses to perform essential functions. You can take zinc by applying it directly to the skin (if you buy the capsules in the chemist you can prick them with a pin and apply the solution sparingly) or you can ingest zinc tablets everyday.
Also worth a read: