It was announced today that Strava has been named as the title sponsor for the Women's Tour Queen of the Mountain jersey competition. 96 of the world’s top female cyclists will fight it out during the inaugural event to be named as the best climber at the Tour.
The Women’s Tour is one of a select few stage races for women. Strava is keen to support this important event, particularly because the competition title inspired Strava’s popular Queen of the Mountain designation on its online leaderboards which has become increasingly popular in recent years.
Speaking on the day of this announcement, Gareth Nettleton, Strava’s Director of international marketing expressed his excitement about the brand’s involvement in the Women’s Tour:
“The opportunity to be a partner of the inaugural Women’s Tour and help raise awareness for women’s cycling globally is something that Strava is very excited to be a part of. The Queen of the Mountains classification was a natural choice for us and we look forward to seeing some of the world’s best female cyclists in Strava’s signature polka-dot orange later this year."
The event, which will take place from 7 – 11 May 2014, will be hotly contested and promises to draw significant international attention. Each stage of The Women’s Tour will feature two Strava Queen of the Mountains climbs where the peloton will compete for points awarded at each summit. The Strava orange polka-dot jersey will be at the heart of the competition and presented to the classification leader at the end of each stage.
For those who are keen to find out a little more about the stages, check out the links below!
The ten Strava Queen of the Mountains locations will be:
- Stage 1, Wednesday 7 May, Oundle-Northampton, 93.8kmStrava Queen of the Mountains 1, Harrington, 36km Strava Queen of the Mountains 2 Spratton. 51km
- Stage 2, Thursday 8 May, Hinckley-Bedford, 118.5km Strava Queen of the Mountains 1, Kilworth, 45km, Strava Queen of the Mountains 2, Brixworth, 64.7km
- Stage 3, Friday 9 May, Felixstowe-Clacton, 90.5k Strava Queen of the Mountains 1, Freston, 31.9k, Strava Queen of the Mountains 2, Holbrook, 36.5km
- Stage Four, Saturday 10 May, Cheshunt-Welwyn Garden City, 87.8km Strava Queen of the Mountains 1 Hertford 11.3km, Strava Queen of the Mountains 2 Digswell Hill 85.3km
- Stage Five, Sunday 11th May, Harwich to Bury St Edmunds, 108.1km Strava Queen of the Mountains 1 Bridge Street, 63.7km, Strava Queen of the Mountains 2 Hitcham, 77.4km
Also worth a read: