The cream of British DH Mountain Biking headed to the technical terrain of Innerleithen, Scotland, for the British Cycling National Mountain Bike Downhill Championships.
This event sees the best racers in the UK pitted head to head in a variety of categories. In true DH style, the rider that makes it to the bottom of the steep, technical course in the quickest time is the winner, and becomes the British National Champion.
Innerleithen is something of a celebrity destination in the world of mountain biking, having recently hosted the third round of the Enduro World Series. It has the magic mix of challenging trails, deceptively high mountains, and a strong and supportive culture of cycling.
There were 5 categories for the National Champs; Youth Women, Junior Women, Senior Women, Masters Women and Senior Women Championship.
There were strong performances all round, but the National Championship title went to Rachel Atherton, who took it for the third consecutive year! This yet another impressive title to the current DH World Champions palmarès.
Coming in 5 seconds behind her was Manon Carpenter. Carpenter has been racing incredibly well this season, adding not one but two long awaited World Cup titles to her name.
Making a return to the world of DH after racing 4X, Katy Curd placed third. Completing the podium was Jess Stone in fourth and Rachael Walker in fifth.
Charlotte Martin took a decisive victory in the Junior Women's category to become Junior National Champion, around 50seconds up on Hope Jensen in second place.
In the Youth category, Rona Strivens took the win, followed by Maya Atkinson 39seconds behind her, and Gemma Taylor in third.
With 4min 24 seconds on the clock, Rebecca Kennedy placed first in the Senior Women's category, followed by Sandra Scally and Deborah Primrose. Finally, Beverley Barnes was the victor in the Masters Women's category, with Cath Tilford in second place.
Buzzing to win National Champs :-) these girls also shredded today!! Junior, Youth, Elite. pic.twitter.com/sBGSEE5DAM
— rachel atherton (@rachelatherton) July 20, 2014
British Cycling National Mountain Bike Downhill Championships Results
Senior Women Championships
1. Rachel Atherton (GT Factory Racing) - 3.20.013
2. Manon Carpenter (Madison Saracen Factory Team) - 3.24.772
3. Katy Curd (Rose Vaujany Gravity MTB Team) - 3.39.837
4. Jessica Stone (Trek Bicycle Coventry) - 4.03.807
5. Rachael Walker (Hope Factory Racing) - 4.18.322
1. Rona Strivens (Wolfpax Riders) - 4.58.236
2. Maya Atkinson (Gawton Gravity Hub) - 5.37.597
3. Gemma Taylor (Single Track Bikes) - 5.41.997
1. Charlotte Mallin Martin - 5.16.184
2. Hope Jensen (Leslie Bike Shop/Bikers Boutique) - 6.06.177
1. Rebecca Kennedy - 4.24.589
2. Sandra Scally (Hervelo Cycling) - 4.50.679
3. Deborah Primrose - 5.38.760
1. Beverley Barnes - 4.23.076
2. Cath Tilford - 6.19.150
Check out the full results at the British Cycling results page.
Find out how the guys got on with the National Champs report on Dirt.
Like this? You'll love these!