Thinking about taking your bike abroad this summer? It may be worth taking a quick look at the cost of transporting your bike with each airline.
You may just find that the bargain basement flight turns out more expensive in the long run when you factor in the cost of transporting your bike.
If you haven't already, check out our Advice for Taking your Bike on Public Transport for guidelines on how you should pack and prepare your bike for flying.
- 1 bike weighing under 23kg for free, on top of your free passenger luggage allowance.
- Excess luggage fee is £40 for anything weighing between 23- 32kg.
- 1 bike weighing under 30kg, which will cost you £50 each way if purchased during the initial booking, however £60 if purchased at the Airport or on the phone.
- Excess luggage fee is £10 per person.
- 1 bike weighing under 25kg can be transported using your free passenger luggage allowance, if you're travelling light.
- If your bike weighs more you can purchase extra luggage allowance to carry your bike, separate from your free passenger luggage, for £34 for UK domestic flights and £55 for anywhere else if purchased online. If you purchase this at the airport and not online it is £40 for UK domestic flights and £65 for anywhere else. Prices based on economy travel.
- 1 bike will cost £35 per single flight if purchased online and £45 if purchased at the airport.
- If you're not taking luggage and just transporting a bike you are allowed up to 32kg for your bike and if you are taking hand luggage you are allowed 53 kg for both.
- Excess weight is charged per kilo per flight at £3 extra if bought online and £10 if at the airport.
- For charter flights (not part of the airlines regular schedule) you can take a bike weighing under 20 kg on the plane for £25 per single flight and for scheduled flights the price is £35 for up to 32kg.
- If you book online or over the phone you save £5 from this fee.
- 1 bike weighing under 30kg, charged at £70 for return flights, both short and medium haul.
- Excess baggage fees are charged between £10-£20 for an extra 5kg and £20-40 for an extra 10kg, both depending on destination.
- 1 bike weighing under 23kg which is not included in your personal luggage allowance may be carried, with a single flight fee depending on your destination, from between £55-£100.
- If you're bike weights more, excess baggage fees are charged from between £45-80 depending on destination.
Liked this? We think you will also like these: