Let’s cut to the chase, even though cycling is classed as a medium-impact sport, big boobs still need lots of support. Trust me! Here's my two cents on finding the perfect sports bras for DD+ cyclists.
I’ve tried cycling in an ‘everyday’ bra, and it wasn’t long before a pesky pothole caught me out, leaving me trying to stuff my escaping bosom back in its cup.
As I set off to cycle 4,000 miles round the coast of Great Britain last year, I had a wardrobe of four sports bras. Measuring in at 28FF I was ecstatic to have such a selection. Unfortunately, this elation was short-lived. By the end of the 62 days, I was left with only one that I hadn’t burned.
Sports bras, like bib-shorts and the majority of cycling gear is very much a personal choice. On saying that, I feel that it's my duty to report back on the findings of wearing these bras for up to 9 hours a day in the saddle for just over two months.
When looking at sports bra suitable for cycling, it's best to focus on the following if you have DD+ breasts;
- Straps. If you're going to be in the saddle for hours, opt for traditional scoop style straps over racer backs. Why? The clip that creates the racer back can cause tension in the neck from carrying the weight of your bosom.
- Seams. This is same advice we offer with cycling shorts; try to go for sports bras with the fewest seams. Every seam is a potential chafe point, so fewer seams equals less irritation.
- Deep armholes. Assume the cycling position, lift your arms and place them on your imaginary handlebars, can you feel the bra or straps rubbing on the front of your armpits?
- Fabric. Look for fabrics like Dri-FIT and CoolMax to help wick moisture away from the body and try to avoid 100% cotton bras as they tend to stay wet.
- Under Band. Focus on both material and width. Look for a soft wide band as the pressure around the torso to keep your chest supported is immense, you don't want to end up with abrasions because of friction.
Over the coming weeks, I'll be using the criteria noted above as the basis for each of the sports bra I review.
We will be featuring a series of reviews, as and when another bra has been reviewed they will be added to the list below.
Either click on the sports bra name or the photograph to read the reviews.