Like something a little different for breakfast? Quick, easy to cook and satisfying, these burritos will fuel your ride.
'Go to work on an egg' was a one of the sayings from my youth, and I have to say that nothing sets me up better for a long day in the saddle.
I discovered breakfast burritos on a trip to Whistler, and I loved having something a little bit different to start the day. Over there, you can get them with all sorts of fillings, complete with refried beans, salsa and cheese. They are a great way of adding extra vegetables to your intake over the day
I like them a little simpler, with chorizo, red peppers and scrambled egg. You don't need much chorizo; it just gives a little spicy kick and flavours the peppers. If I want to get a few more veggies in there, I'll add some fresh spinach. If you are vegetarian, sprinkle some smoked paprika over the peppers instead of using chorizo.
Ingredients (for 2 people):
- 2 wholemeal or seeded wraps
- 3 eggs
- Around 6 thick slices of chorizo sausage, cut into small chunks
- 2 or 3 small sweet peppers, or 1 large yellow pepper, cut into thin slices or strips
- Black pepper
- 1tsp olive oil (optional)
In a pan, heat up 1 tsp of olive oil and add a pinch of black pepper. If you have a non-stick pan, you may not need the oil.
Add the chorizo and peppers, and cook until the oil from the chorizo starts to colour the peppers and they are cooked through. Once cooked, remove and lay in a strip down the center of each wrap.
Add the eggs to the wraps, roll up, eat and enjoy!
The healthy bit:
- Eggs are a great source of protein, with each egg giving you about 6grams - not bad. They're also packed full of A, B2 and D, and they're known for great for satisfying hunger pangs.
- Peppers contain Vitamin C and antioxidants.
- The wrap gives you a boost with the carbohydrates providing a quick energy hit to get you going.