If you're looking for a quick energy fix, look no further than our no bake energy bites. Requiring very little (and very cheap) ingredients, they also take minutes to make and can be eaten easily, on-the-go!
Why not try ditching the standard shop-bought cereal bars for this alternative?
You can see our other nutritious recipes for cyclists here.
Ingredients (for 12 balls):
- 1 bowl of dry oats
- 2/3 of bowl of dry coconut flakes
- 1/2 a bowl of natural peanut butter
- 1/2 a bowl of dark chocolate chips
- 1/3 of a bowl full of honey
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
Stir all the ingredients together in a large bowl until thoroughly mixed. Make sure the texture is not too dry or runny, otherwise the balls won’t be able to stick.
Transfer the mixture into a container and let the balls chill in the fridge for half an hour. Roll the mixture into balls in the palm of your hand, dig in and enjoy.
The healthy bit:
- Peanut butter is a great form of quick energy and provides us with all the good fats needed for a healthy diet. Choosing natural peanut butter may be pricier but it is the best option, as it contains no added palm oil or sweeteners.
- Oats have been proven to lower cholesterol and high blood pressure and are a great source of fibre, iron, phosphorus and selenium.
- Coconut flakes are there for the flavour but also provide the body with zinc, protein, fibre and iron.
- Dark chocolate is loaded with organic compounds that function as antioxidants and improves blood flow and helps to lower blood pressure.
- Honey contains antioxidants and anti-bacterial qualities, and works wonders for people who suffer with hayfever (works best when sourced from your local area).