The elegant Reflector shoe is the first of the new cycling range by cult shoe designer Tracey Neuls, and we've got a pair of these fern grey beauties in to put to the test. But first, our initial thoughts on opening the ( very stylish black) shoebox.
Shunning fads, Tracey Neuls are known as a brand that takes inspiration from literally everywhere to design classic, unique creations, yet with a focus very much on functionality and durability. This isn't a sports wear brand; this is a shoe brand that has decided to produce their own take on a cycling shoe.
The playful and creative ethos of the brand even extends to the two London shops, which are apparently beloved of Mary Portas, Queen of Shops, herself!
The new range of cycling shoes are designed in the signature Tracey Neuls style; they are well thought through, elegant, yet practical. The manufacturing process is as important to the company as the design process, and the shoes are made in small, family-owned factories.
We're particularly interested in these shoes, as the Bike collection has been nominated for the prestigious Design Museums Designs of the Year 2014.
Our initial thoughts:
- These are a stylish and sophisticated looking pair of shoes, and visually about as far away as you could get from the majority of cycling shoes out there.
- Reflective details on the back of the shoe means increased visibility on the road.
- A grippy rubber sole should keep you firmly planted on your pedals, even in wet conditions.
- They have a heel! Comfortable high heeled shoes for cycling could now be a reality, as the heel of the Reflector shoes has been designed to sit securely on a pedal.
- The leather the shoe is constructed from should be durable and water-resistant, and it's coloured using vegetable dyes.
- These shoes don't take cleats.
More information: Tracey Neuls
Why not check out some of our other First Impressions and Reviews: